Joining the Mountain Club of Kenya
You can apply to join the MCK by filling out an online form. Once you apply, you’ll need to pay for your membership with MPESA, see the rates below.
The membership requires approval by the committee according to our constitution but in the rare case that your membership is denied we’ll reimburse you the full amount.
If you do not want to fill the form online, you print out the old MCK Membership Form and give the form, along with applicable dues, to committee members at a Tuesday night meeting. Please note that the rates on the Membership form are outdated, refer to those listed below.
MCK Membership Renewal
To renew your membership to MCK :
Basic membership rates are as follows:
|Annual subscription||After July|
|Overseas||$40 / £25||$20 / £13|
|Temporary (3 months):||2500|
If you want to participate in an MCK activity but you don’t want to become a full member, the daily membership fee is KShs 400 for Kenyan citizens and 800 for non-citizens.
You can pay by MPesa to the MCK with Paybill 880926
Benefits of Membership
By joining MCK you get to meet and benefit from the experience and support of existing members, to use the resources of the club (including equipment and hut on Mt Kenya), to access discounted rates at Blue Sky climbing wall, and to access free entry at Lukenya hill. You’re also encouraged to make your own contribution to the club and their membership.
- Belonging and supporting the outdoor community in Kenya, and ensuring that crags stay accessible and the environment is protected.
- Taking part in climbing and hiking trips run by members (at no profit, you just pay the costs, and run your own trips)
- Social events twice a month: Climb and Curry on the first Wednesday of every month, and social night on the third Tuesday of the month
- Free rock-climbing trainings every year for beginners and intermediate
- Free access to Lukenya crags
- Free access to the MCK hut on Mt Kenya
- Access to bouldering pads, free
- Access to climbing equipment for a small fee (shoes, harness and belay devices)
- Free access to a members-only library (with an extensive and unique collection of maps, books, etc)
- Many discounts such as:
- Blue Sky discounts such as cheaper entry on Wednesdays (and we meet there for climb&curry once a month) and a three months pass for the price of two months.
- 10% discount at Sabache camp near Ololokwe, the home of climbing epics.
- 10% discount at Chowpaty Diamond Plaza
- AMREF Kenya cover for 1800 instead of 2500
- Discount at the Mt Kenya festival (when it takes place)
- Cheaper entry to MCK special film screenings
- Discounts at first aid courses organised by Outdoor Africa and the SOLO School
- 10% discount to stay at the Met station on Mt Kenya
The club attracts those interested in outdoor activities with a desire to explore Kenya, develop their hobbies both in terms of technical ability and experiences and, most of all, to extend their social networks and benefit from the support of those with similar interests. And, you have an opportunity to really get involved and regardless of your level of experience or knowledge you will be encouraged to take an active role in assisting in or leading activities.